NY DMV revises plan for "empire gold" plates
May 28, 2010
In December 2009, we announced that New York DMVs would begin to issue “empire gold” vehicle plates in the spring of 2010. The New York DMV has cancelled this plan, which means
- When a driver applies to replace plates that are lost or stolen
- When a driver applies for a new (original) registration and does not transfer the plate
registration from another vehicle
- If a driver orders new, personalized plates
Drivers also have the option to order empire gold plates when they:
- Renew their registration online, by phone, by mail or at a DMV office, or
- Order Empire Gold plates to replace current plates at a time when their registration is not due to be renewed. Drivers can order empire gold plates by phone, online or at a DMV office.
For more information, please see the FAQs here.